Last time I blogged, we were about to get on the ferry in Mazatlan. We checked in around 2, like we were supposed to, and were loaded onto the boat around 4, then left around 5. Although the ferry wasn't very full, they still packed us in amongst all the big rigs on one side of the boat. We took all of our bags out of the back of the car, wrapped them in a big blue tarp we didn't have stolen from us, and inflated our air mattress to lay in the back of the car on. Max (who weighs around 100 pounds) usually sleeps on the floor by the bed but decided that he was terrified of the ferry and had to get in the car with us. So the five of us squeezed on the air mattress for the night and I don't think one of us slept more than a couple hours.
We got into La Paz around 8 in the morning, then had to get our car searched by the military. They really thought they'd found something when they opened my bag of female products, but instantly became mortified when I told them that their good find was in fact tampons. Giggling about the tampon incident the whole way, Mike and I went to Wal Mart in La Paz to get a few things, then drove the hour and a half trek through the desert mountains to East Cape.
I've been coming to East Cape, located between La Paz and Cabo, since I was in my mom's pregnant belly. The Hazards have been coming down to Hotel Spa Buena Vista, in East Cape, since before me. My grandpa owns a fishing boat that he keeps at the hotel and comes down to fish on, with his captain named Vicente, one week out of every month. The rest of the family tries to make it down at least once or twice a year--usually Thanksgiving or Grandpa's Birthday/Mother's Day. This year, my aunt Nina and I were here but my mom and Derek weren't able to make it. My brother is busy in Virginia planning his wedding and my mom is in Florida and was unable to come because she is battling Post Polio Syndrome (for more information on the relatively unknown syndrome, check out http://www.postpoliosupport.com/). I wish that they both could've been here, but I hope that my mommy is feeling okay, resting in Florida and that Derek's wedding planning is coming along. (See you both soon, love you!!!)
Here are some pictures of the ferry ride, Grandpa's 88th birthday party and fishing on Grandpa's boat:
- The first picture is of our car on the (cargo) ferry from Mazatlan to La Paz--can you guess which car is ours? ;)
- The second picture is of my grandpa's birthday marlin--he reeled it in, then Mike and Nestor (the deckhand) held it while I took a quick picture, then it was released back in to the ocean.
- The third picture is of a Mako shark that Mike caught (and ate for dinner that night) with my grandpa's fishing boat in the background. Yes, the water really is that color!
- The fourth picture is of my grandpa, wearing his #88 San Diego Charger's jersey, drinking out of his special birthday margarita glass, and wearing his special birthday hat. Adorable, right?
- The fifth picture is of my grandpa, my aunt Nina and me at my grandpa's party.

We are staying a few houses down from the hotel, with my good friend Kimberly, since the only dogs allowed at the hotel at my grandpa's two shi tzus. We'll be here until Wednesday the 19th and will keep on doing what we always do when we're here in East Cape--fish, snorkel, paddle board, and dinners with grandpa. I'll blog again soon, promise!
That's all for now :)

No comments:
Post a Comment