Monday, May 3, 2010

Antigua, Guatemala

Here we are, in Antigua. I uploaded the blog I wrote yesterday this morning from a cafe with internet, but my computer died and a three-pronged plug has been impossible to find. So Mike and I are sitting at an internet cafe, with the dogs laying in the doorway waiting patiently for us. We got to Antigua around 730 last night (I can't seem to find the semicolon key on this keyboard, lo siento) and of course, the third hotel let us stay there. But after we checked in, the guy who had said we were allowed to stay became a little hesitant and said that we would have to be out before 8 in the morning because his supervisor was coming in and would be mad at him. We were planning on staying two nights if we could find a place to stay, but it seems fate is telling us it's time to move on to the next place. We woke up at 6 this morning, I took the dogs for a walk and managed to find a tiny piece of grass for them to use the bathroom. Antigua is completely cobblestone and is surrounded by three volcanoes, but it's not very dog-friendly. I would love to come back and spend some time here in the future, just without the dogs.

From here we will be driving to the last Central American border we have to cross--Guatemala to Mexico. We should be in San Cristobal de las Casas tonight, but we'll have to see how the border is when we get there on a Monday morning around lunchtime.
Here are some pictures of Antigua:
  • The first is of my new favorite little girl, holding Maecito's leash at an open air market.
  • The second is of a typical church (including the power lines in front) in Antigua.
  • The third is of one of the three volcanoes that surrounds Antigua, with a cobblestone street leading to it.
  • The fourth is a typical bus of Guatemala--it's an old US school bus, decked out with lights, stickers and paint.


It's time to get off the internet and get back on the road...hasta pronto!

No comments:

Post a Comment