Tuesday, April 20, 2010

"Glamping:" Glamorous Camping

So my mom has always told me a saying that goes something along the lines of, "Proper planning prevents piss poor performance." Well, she doesn't have to worry about that with me because if I could be any "Friends" character, Monica would be my name. I am extremely clean and organized (anyone I've lived with can tell you tons of funny "Gayle-isms" i.e. sweeping at 6 am, cleaning pots and pans before we sit down to eat, etc. etc.) and I have a constant to-do list going in my brain at all times.

That said, this road trip has been one of the things that I can "properly plan" to my heart's content. Since Ry and I went the same route Mike and I are taking, in the same car (just the opposite direction and with more time), I already had a pretty good idea of what I would want to bring this second time around that I didn't have the first time. On top of paperwork (that includes for the car, the humans and the dogs), the car needs to be ready and the actual packing list should be concise but thorough. Easy enough, right? While it may sound easy, getting everything together (especially with Mike in San Diego and me here) isn't always as quick and efficient as Monica-Gayle would like.

Here are some lists that I've had floating around in my head for a while, that should hopefully make our road trip a (clean and efficient) success! :)

Paperwork: (I keep all of my paperwork in a briefcase-style folder with dividers, easily accessible in a plastic bin behind the driver's seat because it's needed at every border and checkpoint or if you get pulled over)
  • For people:
  • Valid passports are obviously a must, as well as valid driver's licenses. (It's a good idea to make five copies of each person's passport/driver's license and leave one copy at home with friends/family and bring the others with you)
  • Don't overpack--try to put clothes in small suitcases that can stack in the back
  • Toiletries can be bought whenever you run out in whichever country you're in, but I try to bring enough of my shampoo/conditioner and other girl stuff
  • For dogs:
  • Make sure that each dog's shots are up-to-date, then take them to whichever local vet you use and get a health certificate. (They're usually around $100 per dog in whichever country you get them and they take about a week to make, so plan in advance! Make copies of these as well!)
  • A collar with their rabies vaccination tag and a tag with their name (I include my last name) and my phone number (with USA before it). A good leash, too.
  • It's good to put Frontline or Advantage on them a few days before you leave, so that you don't have to worry about fleas etc.
  • I have my dog's shot records from their vet in Costa Rica in addition to Max and Missy's US health certificates from the drive down in their file, too.
  • For the car:
  • Obviously paperwork has to be valid on the car and you have to be positive that the car can make a long road trip. (My car is a 1999 manual 4 Runner, with new tires and I keep it very maintained, so she's (Guapa Dos is her name) ready to go!)
  • As for (valid) paperwork, regardless of the country you are registered in, make copies of the paperwork and keep the originals in your glove box and the copies in the folder behind the driver's seat.
  • Since I drove the car down and imported it into Costa Rica, I have the same vin # as previously (from the US) but all new paperwork (from Costa Rica), which I hope doesn't confuse anyone at border crossings. But luckily I kept copies of all the US paperwork, previous border crossings and the importation paperwork.
  • Make sure you have a new oil change, new coolant, all your fluids are checked, your brakes are fine, your tires can handle it, your windshield wipers are in good condition, etc.
What to Bring: (I'm going to assume that we can all pack our own clothes and that one small suitcase will suffice for that. This list is what to bring if you're camping, planning on cooking, etc.)
  • To Keep in the Car:
  • An emergency triangle (They ask randomly throughout the drive at checkpoints to see this, mine doubles as a water bottle--handy!!)
  • At least one gallon of water
  • Extra coolant and oil
  • Jumper cables
  • An emergency medical kit (check it before you leave to make sure nothing is expired and you have enough band-aids and Aspirin)
  • A crank-charged flashlight (This has been SO handy!)
  • One headlamp per person (with extra AAA batteries!)
  • String, a needle and thread, scissors, duct tape, bungee cords, etc. (this is my mini go-to kit)
  • A hand broom and dust pan
  • Laundry soap
  • Rags, paper towels, wipes, and toilet paper
  • A plug adapter for the cigarette lighter and a power surge protector
  • Multi-tool
  • A 15-gallon tuppeware to put all the loose stuff in
  • For cooking:
  • A cooler
  • Cooking utensils: knife, pot, pan, stirring spoon, cutting board, tupperware
  • Eating/drinking utensils: water bottles (with good lids!), plastic cups, plates, bowls, spoons, knives, forks
  • Seasonings/food: remember salt and pepper, olive oil, and any other basic seasonings. (I try to stick to easy to eat things, like cereal, yogurt, cheese, chips and dips, sandwiches, etc.)
  • For camping:
  • A good tent with a good rain tarp
  • A decent air mattress and pump
  • Sheets/pillows
  • Towels (1 per human and 1 per dog is usually how I do it)
  • Bug repellent and sunscreen
  • A lantern (with extra batteries!)
Also, basic insurance is covered by the entrance tax into all Central American countries. That means until Mexico, you're covered. But once in Mexico, everyone should get insurance. You can get it at tons of websites online, print it (and make copies!) then you're good to go.

I am also taking the ferry from Mazatlan, Mexico (mainland) to La Paz, Baja California (the peninsula). There are two companies to choose from to take the 12-16 hour overnight journey on: TMC and Baja Ferries. TMC is daily, while Baja Ferries is a few days a week. TMC is more dog-friendly but also more run-down and you have to sleep in your car/tent. Ry and I took TMC on our way south and Mike and I are taking it back. I made reservations in Spanish through their all-Spanish website, but you have to contact them and request it (I'm assuming in Spanish), as there is no "Make Reservations" section.


I'm sure I'm missing a few things but I have to get going to class. I'll post a couple pics of successful "Glamping" trips I've been on with Ry or Mike over the last couple of years when I get to school. (My step-sister, Laurie (also a Monica), calls this her style of camping: glamorous camping. I like it!)

Here they are:
  • The 1st pic is near Arenal Volcano in La Fortuna, Costa Rica. (Max and Missy are exiting the tent)
  • The 2nd pic is in Playa Avellanas, Costa Rica. (Ry, Max and Missy are sitting outside the tent, under an almendra tree)
  • The 3rd pic is in Mal Pais, Costa Rica. (Mike, Max, Missy and I camped in a big beach-front yard on a trip down the Nicoya Peninsula)
  • The 4th pic is in Playa Avellanas, Costa Rica. (Different campground, a few lots south of the other one, where Mike, the dogs and I stayed right at the tide line)



No comments:

Post a Comment