Thursday, June 24, 2010

Why I Wrote the Way I Did...

I received feedback from this blog, "life is one big road with lots of signs," and I guess I completely misinterpreted the assignment of what kind of travel blog this was supposed to be. I am truly sorry to the people that expected something different. But I would like to take the time to explain the logic in the format of my journey through Central America.

First and foremost, I was not trying to be the typical "American" tourist driving through Central America and Mexico--there were no other gringos to be found in the majority of the places we stopped and passed through. With that said, I tried to set-up my blog in a completely conversational manner. I wanted to explain who I was, where I came from, what I was studying. Once I spent time explaining me, I wanted to make it clear that my trip was going to be an amazing cultural experience, but also a quick adventure with a date in Baja that I couldn't be late for. My trip was by no means a vacation--although I did spend days sitting by pools talking with foreigners, I also talked to locals when asking for directions, at restaurants and in border crossing. While I could have written a novel on each day's happenings, I was almost constantly on the move and when I wasn't, I needed to unwind.

I am not trying to make excuses for omitting exchanges with border officials, military searches, or the underlying reasons for the corrupt exchanges I had with law enforcement. The majority of my research at UPeace, and at my current internship for that matter, is completely focused on the "War on Drugs" in Mexico. While in Mexico, I would be lying to say I wasn't scared. I heard horror stories at my poolside chats on more than one occassion, but I didn't want to focus on that. There is more than enough information on the atrocities of Mexico's current situation, and it has and continues to consume my research, so I chose to focus on the positive spirit of adventure of the trip.

This blog wasn't meant just for my family and friends. I've had people email me out of the blue, saying that they've followed the blog and think that it sends a positive message for people to not be scared to travel in such a feared region of the world. While it might've been rushed and focused on our experiences, my road trip is an example of the possibility to drive through borders, through an entire region of the world, and experience an array of ups and downs in between it all. I did amazing things I would've never dreamt of doing and met wonderful people on my trip--both foreigners and locals--and I don't wish I would have done a thing different.

Life is one big road with lots of signs, even if they're pointing you in the wrong direction, at least you can rely on the power of human kindness to help get you out of an unkown town and on to the Interamericana again.

No comments:

Post a Comment